How about a little positivity today? This exercise sprang from a Facebook trend that circulated during my city’s COVID-19 lockdown wherein people would post lists entitled, “10 Things People Love, but You HATE.”
The whole concept was a bummer, in both premise and execution. That was more negativity than folks needed at the time and I don’t think anyone felt better for having written or read any of them. But then a counter movement began from people who felt the same way I did. When we started to write lists of ten things we loved, I learned so much more interesting things about the people in my circle. For example, one of my college English professors enjoys weightlifting! I would never have known.
Here’s my list. I surprised myself with what made the cut for my top ten, so this was a great way even for me to learn more about me. I encourage you to try this, too!
1. Baking. Though I don’t bake often, I have tons of recipes saved to my Pinterest. Sometimes I pluck one of these out when I’m stressed or procrastinating on something I don’t want to do.
2. Coloring. You may know about this one if you follow my Instagram. I have a very basic understanding of the color wheel, but I use crayons to learn shading tricks and to make the usual an unusual color.
3. Exploring. Especially abandoned places, forgotten spaces, and far flung locations.
4. Scavenging. I’m secretly a Corvid in my heart, because I love finding old things I can still use and love. This covers my obsession with thrift stores, used book stores, and garage sales.
5. Exercising. If God hadn’t nerfed me with weak joints, I would exercise way more than I do. Right now I settle for walking, but dream of running and lifting again someday.
6. Organizing. Plans, items, schedules, topics, projects, I’ll organize them all. I get a sense of peace and well being from having things in order.
7. Listening. To music, people, silence. You can learn a lot about others and yourself if you just keep quiet.
8. Creating. Probably more obvious with all the writing, but this also encompasses drawing, building, fashion, and crafts.
9. Philosophizing. Nothing serious. Just making mental connections about the how and why of life.
10. Daydreaming. I have more in mind to write or do or try or be than I could ever manage in one lifetime. I hope I get reincarnated or existence turns out to be a videogame simulation with extra lives so I can experience it all. If not, at least it all still happened in my mind.
Got a list of things you love? Post yours in the comments below. I’d love to read more about you!
Thanks for reading!
Subscribe to my list of readers who get new stories, sneak peeks, and book reviews delivered to their inboxes.
Little Blue Marble 2022: Warmer Worlds
Featuring “I Hope This Email Does Not Find You!”
The last eight years have been the warmest on record.
Little Blue Marble‘s anthology of speculative climate fiction and poetry from an international slate of authors mourns and hopes in equal measure for the fate of our world and its ecosystems.
May these visions of the future inspire collective action before climate chaos becomes irreversible.
Show Your Support
If you enjoy my writing, please consider leaving a tip. All amounts welcome!
2 thoughts on “Author Update: 10 Things I Love That You May Not Know About Me”
Lovely list and nice to get to know you more! I’m a bit of a daydreamer myself 😊
We all sort of have to be to blog, y’know?